Say good bye to overcooked, dry fish and make this restaurant quality air fryer Chilean sea bass with honey miso glaze for an easy dinner.
After coming back from Las Vegas spring break trip, we were craving for the simplest food. I made a simple air fryer Chilean sea bass with honey miso glaze. Just when I thought I couldn't top the air fryer miso cod, this dish is probably my favorite fish cooked in the air fryer. The Chilean sea bass turned out incredibly moist, tender, and flaky with a hint of ginger. It reminded me of the Chilean sea bass typically served at an Asian wedding banquet. My family liked the dish so much they requested for it to be include in a two week dinner rotation. So simple yet satisfying, you can't go wrong with Chilean bass for dinner!
Substitution for Chilean Seabass
Chilean sea bass is a type of cod prize for prized for its moist, flaky white flesh and buttery taste. Look for Chilean sea bass with the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certification label to ensure it was caught sustainably. I usually get them on sale at Whole Foods for around $25 per pound. Substitute with black cod, halibut, or salmon which works well for this preparation.
How to Make the Marinade
The marinade is a simple mixture of white miso, mirin, sake, honey, sea salt, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger. Whisk the liquid ingredients and salt then add the aromatics. Smash the garlic and ginger to release their natural oils to add flavor to the marinade.
How Long to Marinate
For the best flavor, marinate the Chilean sea bass for at least 24 hours and up to 72 hours. If you don't have time, marinate it overnight.
Tips for Cooking Fish in the Air Fryer
- Depending on what air fryer you own, you’ll need to follow the instructions and preheat it. Preheating the air fryer will help crisp up the edge of your fish.
- I divided my Chilean sea bass into two 8 oz pieces but feel free to cut them smaller.
- Each 8-oz piece takes 10 minutes to cook at 375 degrees F.
- Make sure the filets are similar in size. The time needed to cook them depends on the thickness and size of the filets. Using the same size ensures that they will cook evenly.
- Spray the air fryer basket to prevent food from getting stuck to it. (This step is optional if you don't use the foil in the next step.)
- For cooking fish, I add a piece of foil right underneath the piece of fish. Depending on what kind of material your air frying basket is made of, the skin might get stuck to the bottom and make it harder to clean. With the foil, I can easily lift the fish out of the basket.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Overcrowding the basket can result in undercooking some of the food and burning the other half. The food needs room on all sides to have the circulating air cook it. If you’re scaling up the recipe, divide your batch to ensure the fish cooks evenly.
- Cook the Chilean sea bass for another 2 minutes in the air fryer if the middle part is still not cooked through.
What to Serve Chilean Sea Bass With
We like to eat Chilean sea bass with Jasmine rice and steamed or sauteed veggies like broccolini or bok choy.
For more air fryer fish recipes:
Air Fryer Chilean Sea Bass with Honey Miso Glaze
- 1 pound Chilean sea bass, cut into two 8-ounce pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- Pat the Chilean sea bass dry with paper towel.
- In a lidded container, whisk honey, miso, mirin, sake, sesame oil, and salt until well combined. Add garlic and ginger.
- Add the fish to the honey miso marinade face down and leave in fridge for at least 24 hours and up to 72 hours.
- When ready to cook the fish, spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with the olive oil spray. (This step is optional if you don't use the foil in the next step.)
- Put a piece of foil underneath the fish and carefully lower it into the basket of the air fryer.
- Attach the air fryer lid. Press the Air Fry button and set the temperature for 375 degrees F for 10 minutes then press Start.
- Remove fish from the basket immediately or it will continue to cook and transfer fish to a serving plate. Repeat with the remaining piece of fish.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and your favorite greens.