Oven baked orange and grapefruit slices are caramelized, topped with tangy yogurt, toasted oats, and bee pollen.
During winter, there’s always a bowl of citrus sitting on our kitchen counter. We buy about 20 pounds of oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, and Meyer lemons from the farmers market every week. Yes 20 pounds! We juice everyday, throw them in salad, bake with them, and snack on them. One of our favorite snacks is combining citrus with yogurt and granola. Today we’re sharing a new take on our favorite old snack, baked citrus with yogurt, toasted oats, and bee pollen.
Seasonal Moro blood oranges, Valencia oranges, and grapefruits take center stage in this delicious snack. These oranges and grapefruits and sliced thinly, topped with sugar, and baked in the oven until the edges are caramelized and flavor concentrated. While the citrus slices are baking, rolled oats are pan toasted with coconut and honey to a beautiful golden color. Everything comes together in one plate with caramelized citrus slices, coconutty oats, tangy yogurt, and bee pollen. The baked citrus with yogurt, toasted oats, and bee pollen is perfect as a snack or breakfast. If you’re feeling lazy about making the oats, you can skip it and enjoy the citrus slices with just yogurt. These citrus slices can also be served as a dessert with creme fraiche or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 Moro blood oranges
- 2 Valencia oranges
- 2 tbsps turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp orange blossom honey
- 1 cup organic yogurt
- 2 tbsps bee pollen
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the oranges and grapefruits and remove as much of the white pith as you can.
- Cut the oranges and grapefruits crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Lay the slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and sprinkle sugar on top of the citrus slices.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until the edges are slightly caramelized.
- Put a small pan on medium heat and add the coconut oil and honey and let them melt.
- Add the oats and stir them frequently until they are golden. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Remove the citrus slices from the oven.
- When ready to serve, place the citrus slices on two plates, add yogurt, and top with oats and bee pollen. Add a little extra honey if you want a sweeter taste.