This fig tomato arugula salad only takes 10 minutes to put together. Sweet figs, juicy heirloom tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and peppery arugula come together in this glorious salad with a drizzle of evoo and balsamic vinegar.
In June we added a Black Mission fig tree to our garden in addition to a tiger fig tree that we planted a few years ago. It came from the nursery at a height of 10 feet and full of baby figs. Our patience was rewarded with an amazing crop of figs a couple days ago. Besides eating them fresh, I threw them into a salad that I made for lunch, and it turned out amazing! This fig tomato arugula salad celebrates summer’s bounties bringing a wonderful combination of flavors and textures in one plate.
- Figs: for my salad, I used Black Mission figs. Other varieties that are sweet and perfect for salad include tiger figs, Adriatic figs, and Kadota figs. Pick figs that are soft to touch as they tend to be ripe and sweet. A very firm fig is not ripe and will not ripen further.
- Tomatoes: summer is peak tomato season. Splurge on the juiciest organic heirloom tomatoes you can find. I used a combination of heirloom and cherry tomatoes but you can use any tomatoes you like.
- Mozzarella: My favorite mozzarella is mozzarella di bufala. It has a wonderful soft, semi-elastic texture. If you can’t find mozzarella, burrata makes a wonderful substitute.
- Arugula: arugula has a delightful peppery taste. I prefer baby arugula since their taste is milder. Look for perky leaves that have vibrant green color. Avoid arugula with wilted, yellowing, or slimy leaves. Another vegetable with a peppery taste that would work in this salad is watercress. You can also add a handful of basil leaves and it will add another layer of flavor to this salad.
- Olive Oil: Look for an excellent cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil with a bit of a bite.
My fig tomato arugula salad is about celebrating the simplicity of the season. Sweet figs, juicy heirloom tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and peppery arugula come together in this glorious salad with a drizzle of evoo and balsamic vinegar. It’s perfect for when you don’t feel like cooking and only takes 10 minutes to put together. Make it a complete meal with a piece of crusty bread to soak up all the goodness!
Fig tomato arugula salad
- 2 cups arugula
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced
- 8 ounces Black Mission figs, halved
- 8 ounces mozzarella di bufala (aka buffalo mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- To refresh the arugula before you prepare the salad, immerse it in ice water for about 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry before using.
- Slice the tomatoes and figs.
- On a large serving plate, layer arugula, tomatoes, and mozzarella. Top with figs.
- Sprinkle a little sea salt and freshly ground pepper over the salad. Drizzle over the olive oil and balsamic vinegar just before serving.