This harissa roasted salmon is a delicious and foolproof weeknight dinner. Gone are the days of overcooked, dry fish.
We eat seafood three times a week and salmon is one of the fish we often turn to for an easy weeknight dinner. I have a whole arsenal of salmon recipes but this one for slow-roasted salmon with harissa from Bon Appetit is a new favorite. Bon Appetit delivered on their promise of slow roasting as a foolproof way of achieving moist and tender salmon. All you have to do is prep the fish, slide it into the oven, and let the heat behind that door transform it into one of the most delicious meals ever. For a busy mom who’s trying to wrangle two kids and dinner, it’s a win not to worried about my fish overcooking.
The salmon is seasoned and roasted in a bath of olive oil flavored with harissa at 275 degrees F until tender. If you haven’t used harissa before, it’s a popular North African and Middle Eastern staple made of chilies and spices. For those who can’t handle the heat fear not. Harissa has a mild heat that lends richness and depth to your favorite protein unlike the fiery habanero. Even my toddlers can eat this! I’ve used it on fish, chicken, lamb, soups, and even hummus. I tried both harissa powder and paste, and the paste did a much better job of imparting flavor compared to the powder. A little goes a long way and you can find it in many Middle Eastern supermarkets.
While the fish is roasting, I prepare the toppings–roast the walnuts, remove the pomegranate seeds, chop up some parsley, and whip up the yogurt sauce. The walnuts and pomegranate seeds add texture while the tahini yogurt sauce brings everything together. Vu and the kids like the salmon with quinoa but you can serve it with your favorite grains or a bowl of greens like broccolini or green beans. All in the span of 30 minutes you can have a delicious dinner for the whole family!
I love how Bon Appetite upgraded a boring salmon dish with harissa and made it a delicious and foolproof weeknight dinner. This harissa roasted salmon is on regular rotation at our house and I always make extra so we have leftovers for lunch.
If you try this recipe, please let us know how you like it! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #beyondsweetandsavory on Instagram. We truly appreciate your feedback and incorporate them to continually improve our recipes.
Harissa roasted salmon with tahini dressing
- 1.5 pounds salmon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsps harissa paste
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt for seasoning
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps organic tahini
- 1/2 cup organic Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Whisk olive oil, harissa paste, and garlic in a prep bowl.
- Pour half of the harissa mixture in a baking dish and swirl to coat.
- Season the salmon on both sides with salt and place the salmon skin down in the baking dish.
- Pour the remaining harissa oil over the salmon.
- Roast the fish in the oven for 30 minutes until the flesh flakes apart easily with a spoon.
- During the last 5 minutes of roasting salmon, lay the walnuts in a single layer on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 5 minutes.
- To make the dressing, whisk the garlic, tahini, yogurt, honey, and lemon juice in a prep bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, place the salmon on a serving plate, drizzle the dressing over the salmon, top with walnuts, parsley, and pomegranate seeds.