Gail gave me some basil from her garden so I whipped up a batch of fresh pesto.
I had a lot of fun experimenting with pesto. Pasta. Quinoa. Potato salad. Sandwich.
I’m posting my first experiment here. My pesto sandwich. So simple, yet satisfying.
The intense flavor of pesto melded with the mozzarella cheese on toasted baguette.
You can use any bread that you like but I love the taste of baguette. Enjoy!
one 6-inch baguette
1 ½ to 2 tbsps pesto (recipe below)
2 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3 pieces of mozzarella
a few basil leaves
1. Slice the baguette in half.
2. Spread half of the baguette with pesto.
3. Top with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves.
4. Toast the sandwich in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the mozzarella is melted.
4 cups basil leaves
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
¼ cup of pine nuts
½ cup of olive oil
¼ cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional)
A pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Place ¼ cup of olive oil, pine nuts, and garlic in a food processor and puree until smooth.
2. Add the basil leaves, cheese, and remaining olive oil and blend until thick and smooth.
3. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Leave a Reply