When we posted a picture of our salted chocolate chip cookies as part of our edible gifts for friends and family on Instagram, people went wild. Never had it occurred to us that our followers would go banana for something as simple as chocolate chip cookies topped with a few grains of sea salt!
So we're making good on our promise to share our simple but delicious salted chocolate chip cookie recipe. It's amazing what heat can do to the chemistry of sugar, flour, baking powder, and butter!
They’re perfect on their own with a glass of milk, as a pizookie, or an ice cream sandwich. We hope you like it!
Salted chocolate chip cookies (about 18 cookies)
1 stick of butter, cubed
1 ½ cup of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup of dark brown sugar
¼ cup of turbinado sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 oz of semisweet chocolate chips (my favorite brand is Toll House)
½ teaspoon sea salt for sprinkling
1. In a small sauce pan, on low heat, add the cubed butter and let the butter melt into a liquid, about 5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the sugars and melted butter and beat on low speed until homogeneous, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on slow speed until well blended.
5. Sift in the flour mixture into two batches and beat until combined.
6. Scrape down the side of the bowl as needed.
7. Fold in the chocolate chips.
8. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes. If you have time, refrigerate dough overnight which allows a deeply caramelized flavor to come through.
9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
10.Remove the dough from the fridge and use an ice scoop to scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie.
11. Roll the dough into balls and place them on the parchment paper, about 2 inches apart.
12. Use the bottom of a measuring cup and gently press on the dough to flatten them slightly.
13. Sprinkle a few grains of sea salt on top.
14. Place the baking sheets on the lowest racks of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
15. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and let the cookies sit on the pan for another 5 minutes. Transfer them to a wire rack to cook.
16. Enjoy immediately or store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
Leave a Reply