These strawberry rhubarb mascarpone hand pies are fruity, buttery, and nutty all in the same bite.
Seeing rhubarb at the farmers was a beautiful sign but seeing strawberries was even better! Normally strawberries don’t make their entrance until late spring which is around June. I don’t know how the farmers from JR Organics did it but they had three different types of strawberries at their stand last weekend--Gaviota, Patricia, and Albion. Our favorite is the Gaviota variety which is the sweetest, juicy, and so flavorful. We bought a whole flat, ate most of them fresh, and saved the bruised ones for baked good. I combined the strawberries with some leftover rhubarb to make strawberry rhubarb mascarpone hand pies.
These strawberry rhubarb mascarpone hand pies are perfect for a lazy baker like me! Actually, let me correct myself! I’m not a lazy baker but having kids make those involved and complicated baking projects exponentially harder to complete. Forget the beautiful pies with intricate lattice or four layer cakes that require hours to bake and decorate. Now it’s all about creating something quick and delicious before they wake up from their naps.
I love the simplicity and ease of these strawberry rhubarb hand pies. Store bought puff pastry, a mixture of fruit, some sliced almonds, sugar, and an egg wash are all you need. I feel no shame in using good quality store bought puff pastry. Make sure you get the butter puff pastry and not margarine or oil based ones. The hardest step is filling the pastry and sealing the edges together so they don’t burst while baking. After twenty minutes in the oven you’re rewarded with these buttery and fruity hand pies. I usually make an extra batch and freeze them for a quick breakfast. I love the sweet tart flavor from the strawberry rhubarb mixture, buttery taste of the puff pastry, and crunch from the almonds. These strawberry rhubarb mascarpone hand pies are perfect for breakfast, snacking, and sharing with family and friends.
If you try this recipe, please let us know how you like it! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #beyondsweetandsavory on Instagram. We truly appreciate your feedback and incorporate them to continually improve our recipes.
Strawberry rhubarb mascarpone hand pies
- 6 5x5 squares of good quality puff pastry
- 1 cup organic strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup organic rhubarb, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsps granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 tbsps mascarpone cheese
- 1 egg egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsps sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- In a mixing bowl, add strawberries, rhubarb, lemon zest, sugar, and cornstarch and let them macerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thaw the puff pastry squares on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- When the pastry squares have thawed but are still cold, spread one tablespoon of mascarpone cheese in a triangular pattern on half of the square, leaving a half inch border.
- Divide the filling evenly among the pasty squares.
- Brush the edges with the egg, fold up the pastry to form a triangle, then press the edges together with a fork. Put the folded hand pies in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the hand pies from the freezer, brush the top with the egg, scatter the sliced almonds, and sprinkle the turbinado sugar.
- Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Let the hand pies cool for 10 minutes before serving.