I was always fascinated with crepes but never attempted to make it at home until our honeymoon in Paris. Everywhere we walked there was a crepe stand around the corner. We saved a lot of money and time grabbing crepes for breakfast and lunch on the way to the museums or sightseeing and splurged on dinner. My husband gravitated toward the savory ones while my sweet tooth always won.
Since our honeymoon eons ago, we love alternating crepes for breakfast with our other French favorite, French toast. Continuing our obsession with strawberries and basil from a tart that we shared a while back, we decided to bring these flavors together for the filling of our crepes. This breakfast is perfect for summer when strawberries are at their peak season but you can replace the strawberries with stone fruits like cherries, peaches, and plums. Even though this recipe seems a bit involved, it’s quite simple and anyone can make it!
Crepes with strawberries and mascarpone
½ cup all purpose flour
¾ cup organic milk
½ cup organic heavy cream
½ tbsp sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 organic egg
Melted unsalted butter
¼ cup mascarpone
¼ cup organic heavy cream
1 tbsp honey and extra for serving
½ tsp vanilla bean past
1 pint of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 tbsps baby basil leaves
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and egg until smooth. Leave the batter in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest (you can also keep it refrigerated overnight if you wish to prepare it for the next day).
2. Brush a nonstick 8 inch crepe pan or skillet with melted butter and heat over medium-high heat.
3. When hot, ladle about ¼ cup of batter and swirl the pan/skillet so that the batter coats the base evenly.
4. Cook for 1-2 minutes until golden, then flip and cook for another minute on the other side until pale golden.
5. Remove the crepe from the pan, place on baking sheet, cover, and keep warm with a clean tea towel. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
6. Whisk the mascarpone, heavy cream, vanilla, and honey until well combined.
7. Divide the crepes among serving plates, spread with mascarpone cream, extra honey, and basil leaves.
8. You can store leftover crepes in the freezer and rewarm when ready to serve.